September brings a sensational lineup of can’t-miss festivals, events, and celebrations across Europe. From iconic beer festivities in Munich and music festivals in Spain to illuminated cityscapes and tomato fights in the streets, Europe comes alive in September with unique cultural traditions and lively community gatherings.
This month presents the perfect opportunity to embrace local experiences and discover the diverse sights, sounds, and flavors of Europe. As summer fades into autumn, the festivals usher in a spirit of community, creativity, and joy across the continent.
I like September very much as it brings cooler weather – in fact, the weather in Europe in September is great for festivals and events. There are no more heatwaves – and the maximum is around 25C. It rains, but not heavily. Plus, there are plenty of fruits to enjoy in September – so it is a perfect month to visit Europe and enjoy some great festivals in Europe, go to some interesting and fun European events, and enjoy the local food and culture!
Pack your bags and get ready to experience the energy and excitement of Europe’s top September festivities. Here are 12 unforgettable events that should be on every traveler’s bucket list.
Included on this guide to the best events and Festivals in Europe in September are:
- La Mercè Festival in Barcelona, Spain
- Venice International Film Festival in Venice, Italy
- San Sebastian Film Festival in San Sebastian, Spain
- Belgian Beer Weekend in Brussels, Belgium
- St. Giles’ Fair in Oxford, United Kingdom
- Braemar Gathering in Scotland
- Budapest Wine Festival in Budapest, Hungary
- New Wine Harvest Festivals in Wine Regions (and Beyond)
- BD Comic Strip Festival in Brussels, Belgium
- Vienna Wine Hiking Day in Vienna, Austria
- Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany (begins at the end of September)
La Mercè Festival in Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona’s biggest street festival brings a blast of music, culture, and color late every September. La Mercè Festival is the city’s main annual celebration in honor of its patron saint, Mother Mary of Mercy and it is one of the best European events in September.
This lively four-day festival in Barcelona, Spain, features over 600 activities citywide. Highlights include live music performances, theater, parades with giant mythical figures, human tower contests, a circus, street acts, fireworks over the harbor, and the fiery correfoc with drummers, fireworks, and dancing devils.
Visitors can browse the bustling…