Rome is among the most recognizable cities in the world. Italy has many other touristy areas, such as Florence and Lake Como, but in Rome there are some iconic symbols of the country.
Nicknamed the Eternal City, Rome is a true open-air museum with an astonishing number of monuments, palaces and religious buildings. Rome is one of the most incredible cities you will ever visit.
The city’s long history, which spans over 2500 years, can be seen in every corner, so choosing where to stay in Rome is of fundamental importance to have an unforgettable time.
Rome is a huge city with a plethora of hotels all around. We prepared this guide to help you narrow down the best places to stay in Rome for your holiday. We will also share the neighborhoods’ top sights and useful tips for a stress-free getaway.
Read more about Italy
How to get the best deals in Italy
Here’s what we’re covering:
Where To Stay In Rome
Rome is Italy’s biggest city compared to Florence and Lake Como, with many neighborhoods boasting incredible attractions. The Eternal City is divided into 22 rioni (or districts), all with unique characteristics. Whether you love being surrounded by ancient buildings or Renaissance and Baroque monuments, Rome has the perfect spot for every traveler.
This guide is a detailed breakdown of Rome’s best neighborhoods so you can choose the best suited to your travel needs.
The main neighborhoods of Rome
Here’s an overview of the best places to stay in Rome for an unforgettable vacation.
1. Colosseo / Rione Monti – Revolving around the Colosseo, the neighborhood is where to be for discovering the archeological sites and the history of ancient Rome.
2. Centro Storico – Boasting iconic monuments like the Fontana di Trevi and the Pantheon, it is Rome’s most touristic area.
3. Villa Borghese – An elegant area in the north of the city, Villa Borghese has wonderful art galleries and many green spaces for relaxing walks and picnics.
4. Trastevere – Ideal to live a local experience, Trastevere is full of charming streets to take pictures of and boasts restaurants serving authentic Roman cuisine.
5. Vaticano / Rione Borghi – The Vaticano is a separate State within the territory of Rome, but it has among the best spots to visit in the Italian capital,…