Crete is a true paradise with turquoise sea waters, charming villages, lively seaside towns, and reddish mountains. With a rich culture that you can discover in the many archeological sites, museums, and historical buildings, Crete is a wonderful all-year-round destination in Greece.
The island is huge, so deciding where to stay in Crete is not a straightforward choice. We are here to help you with this complete guide on the best places to stay in Crete. We have narrowed down the island’s top towns to stay in with a list of their unmissable attractions and will also give you tips for spending a wonderful vacation in Crete.
Here’s what we’re covering:
Where To Stay In Crete
Crete is an enormous island divided into four prefectures that are characterized by slightly different atmospheres. The north of the island is more populated and is also more frequented by tourists, contrary to the southern coast.
This breakdown of the island’s top towns will help you find the best places to stay in Crete for your travel needs.
The main neighborhoods of Crete
Following are Crete’s best towns to stay in for a wonderful holiday.
1. Chania – The island’s second-largest city, Chania is perfect for first-time travelers thanks to the many accommodation options, great historical sights, and stunning beaches.
2. Heraklion – Crete’s capital, this city boasts great nightlife and numerous historical sites, among all the legendary Knossos Palace.
3. Rethymnon – Combining old-world charm with trendy eateries and stunning beaches, the town is where to be if you are interested in visiting Byzantine, Ottoman, and Venetian landmarks.
4. Hersonissos – An ideal stay for families, this town features many fun and exciting activities, from a water park to shallow beaches ideal for swimming.
5. Agios Nikolaos – Less touristy than other towns in Crete, Agios Nikolaos has stunning beaches and a picturesque seafront with a lake, restaurants, and cafès.
6. Matala – Boasting a unique hippie vibe and…