There’s no shortage of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Europe to visit. In fact, there are over 400 to choose from to try to fit into your next European trip itinerary (or a lifetime’s worth of itineraries).
From Italy, boasting the most UNESCO sites in all the world, to the Czech Republic, claiming the smallest, Europe has some truly stunning UNESCO sites. Any trip to Europe can easily fit in a UNESCO site worth visiting with ease!
Europe is bursting at the seams with sites of significant historical heritage that define the development and cultural growth of the continent. However, the natural heritage of many European countries is world-famous and is the epitome of what it means to be a notable World Heritage Site.
But sometimes, with seemingly endless opportunity comes the slightly overwhelming inability to make a decision. How can you decide which site/s make the cut for your next trip away? Which sites can best pique your interest, provide that Insta perfect shot, or keep the whole family entertained?
Out of all the UNESCO sites you could pick in Europe, we’ve compiled the following list of 16 of the best UNESCO sites in Europe you’ll want to visit.
Show Table of Contents
- A Very Brief Overview
- 16 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Europe
- 1. Mont-Saint-Michel and Bay, France
- 2. Historic Center of Prague
- 3. Pingvellir National Park, Iceland
- 4. Plitvice Lakes National Park, Croatia
- 5. Vatican City, Italy
- 6. Museum Island, Germany
- 7. Giant’s Causeway and Causeway Coast, Northern Ireland
- 8. Stonehenge, England
- 9. Old and New Towns of Edinburgh, Scotland
- 10. La Sagrada Família, Spain
- 11. Medieval City of Rhodes, Greece
- 12. Old Bridge Area of the Old City of Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 13. Palace and Gardens of Schönbrunn, Austria
- 14. West Norwegian Fjords – Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjord, Norway
- 15. Holy Trinity Column in Olomouc, Czech Republic
- 16. Historic Town Center of Brugge, Belgium
- How many UNESCO heritage sites are there in Europe?
- Which European country has the most UNESCO World Heritage sites?
- Where is the city with the most UNESCO World Heritage sites located?
A Very Brief Overview
With over 400 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Europe, you are guaranteed to find one to take your fancy for some vacation inspiration! But before we dive into our list detailing just a handful of the UNESCO sites Europe offers, here’s a quick overview of some top choices to pick from:
|Site||Location||Year Established as UNESCO Site||Unique Features||Best for (Type…|