Taking advantage of free night certificates is one of the essential ways to maximize value from a hotel loyalty program.
While these certificates are “free” in the sense that you aren’t paying cash for your stay, they almost always come with an acquisition cost, whether it’s through credit cards, stay activity, or special promotions.
That’s why it’s important to pay attention to how you redeem the certificates and ensure you’re coming out ahead.
In this article, let’s go over how to earn, redeem, and maximize Marriott Bonvoy’s Free Night Awards.
How to Earn Marriott Free Night Awards
1. Amex Bonvoy Credit Cards: Anniversary Free Night Award Worth 35,000 Points
The easiest way for Canadians to earn annual Free Night Awards is through the Canadian-issued Amex Bonvoy credit cards:
You won’t earn the free night during your first year of holding the card; instead, it’ll be deposited to your Marriott Bonvoy account within 6–8 weeks of renewing the card for a second year, and every year after that in which you continue to hold the card.
In both instances, it should be relatively easy to recoup the value of the $120 or $150 annual fee you’re paying on either Bonvoy card.
2. Amex US & Chase Bonvoy Credit Cards: Anniversary Free Night Award Worth 35,000–50,000 Points
Getting involved with Marriott Bonvoy co-branded credit cards in the US opens up many more opportunities to rack up the free nights.
In particular, you’ll earn anniversary Free Night Awards on the following US credit cards which are open to new applications:
- American Express US Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card: Anniversary Free Night Award worth 85,000 Bonvoy points
- American Express US Marriott Bonvoy Business Card: Anniversary Free Night Award worth 35,000 Bonvoy points
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Card: Anniversary Free Night Award worth 35,000 Bonvoy points
Furthermore, the following two products are no longer open to new applications, but can still be added to your portfolio through product switches:
- American Express US Marriott Bonvoy Card (available as a downgrade option from the Bonvoy Brilliant): Anniversary Free Night Award worth 35,000 Bonvoy points
- Chase Ritz-Carlton Credit Card (available as an upgrade option from the Bonvoy Boundless or Bonvoy Bold): Anniversary Free Night Award worth 85,000 Bonvoy points
As with the Canadian side, these Free Night Awards are…