Windsor is a criminally underrated tourist destination in Ontario, Canada. The fun city sits just across the Detroit River from the sprawling metropolis of Detroit itself – with the river marking the US-Canada border. We have visited Windsor countless times as we live only an hour away and usually use it for our land crossing to the USA. The gorgeous view of the Detroit skyline is not the only cool thing about this city, in fact, Windsor will surprise you with all the activities it has to offer.
In our opinion, Windsor is a great place to visit. It’s full of novelty and home to a trendy community culture thanks to its popular university. You can take a leisurely stroll along the riverfront, hit up the bars and tattoo shops in Downtown Windsor, or learn about indigenous history and the 1812 American invasion of Canada. It even has fascinating stories of the Underground Railroad, when alcohol was smuggled during prohibition.
The Windsor area is one of the most iconic places to visit in Ontario. It has some of the best stories, culture, and plain old fun.
In this guide, we’ll introduce you to the best things to do in Windsor, Canada. The city has enough to justify staying for at least a weekend. And if you fancy some day trips, plan to visit for at least 2-3 days. Are you ready to get to know Windsor on a better level?
Windsor has a glitzy downtown area full of bars and trendy restaurants. It also has the iconic Sandwich Towne district, once its own town before being incorporated into Windsor. Sandwich Towne still has historic architecture, with beautiful old buildings like old windmills. It looks a bit like a model town. Windsor has so much diversity in its neighborhoods; plan a few days to explore the different areas.
Most importantly, Windsor has a lot of things to do. Before heading to the main list, take a quick look at our summary.
Best of Windsor, Canada: A Quick Guide
- Must See: Windsor Sculpture Park, Windsor University Campus, Willistead Manor, and Pelee Island.
- Where to Stay: Bestway Motel (£), A Hidden Bed and Breakfast (££), and Sandwich Boutique Hotel (£££)
- Fun To Do: Visit Adventure Bay Family Water Park, take a tasting tour at the Walkerville Brewery, and cruise down the river.
- Day Trips: Detroit, Southwold Earthworks National Historic Site, Pelee Island, and Fort Malden National Historic Site.
- Must-try Foods: Chicken Delight, shawarma, whisky, honey balls, and paczki.