Holiday season is fast approaching, with warm weather on the way with the bank holiday at the end of this month welcoming the start of summer in the UK.
The end of the school year will soon follow, with plenty of people taking an opportunity to explore Europe.
Foreign holidays don’t have to be the expensive luxury they might seem. Much of Europe remains accessible on a budget, and there are countries where your money will go further this summer due to exchange rate fluctuations.
While the pound has had a tumultuous year, its value has strengthened against the currencies of some European countries, including Turkey and Sweden, with potential for affordable summer city breaks.
Using data and information given by Jack Mitchell, head of travel money at FairFX, we’ve unearthed some of the best destinations where your money will go further this summer.
- Exchange rates: £500 can currently buy you 12,062.95 Turkish lira, compared to 9,519.25 at this time last year
- Accommodation prices: Double rooms in three-star, city centre hotels available from £50 per night
- Flights: Return flights from Gatwick for £190
Famously the only city in the world to straddle two continents, Istanbul is also the largest city in Europe. Steeped in history, the city has been the centre of three historic empires (the Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman empires) and many of its monuments and much of its architecture reflecting this. The main sites include the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque, two neighbouring mosques built in the 6th and 17th centuries, respectively. Both are in the Sultanahmet district, known as the Old City, where many shops, restaurants and hotels line the streets.
Certainly a destination for exploring, other sights include the Topkapi Palace (once the centre of Ottoman rule), the ancient Galata Tower, and cruises along the Bosphorus Strait, where Europe meets Asia.
- Exchange rates: For £500 you will get approximately 6,583.7 Norwegian Krone; last year you’d have got NOK 5,759.95
- Accommodation prices: Double rooms in thecity centre for £80 per night
- Flights: Return flights from Gatwick available for £154
Norway’s second city is small by city standards, with a…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at The Independent Travel…