Posted: 1/5/2023 | January 5th, 2023
While I wouldn’t spend a long time here (a couple of days should suffice), there’s plenty to keep you busy during your visit, from bungee jumping to lounging on the beach to visiting nearby Hobbiton (from the Lord of the Rings films).
And, while Auckland can be pricey, there are plenty of hostels here to help you lower your costs.
To help you save money and plan your trip, here is my list of the best hostels in Auckland.
But, before we dive in, I want to share four things you need to remember before you pick a hostel:
- Location – Auckland is sprawling, so take this into consideration when looking for a hostel. Pick a neighborhood near the things you want to see and do.
- Price – As is true anywhere, you get what you pay for. If you pick a really cheap hostel, you’re probably going to get one that is small and cramped and doesn’t offer great service.
- Amenities – Every hostel in town offers free Wi-Fi, and most have self-catering facilities so you can cook your own meals. Many — but not all — include free breakfast, so be sure to do your research to find the one that best meets your needs.
- Staff – All the hostels listed here have an amazing staff who are super friendly and knowledgeable. Even if you don’t end up staying at one of the places listed below, be sure to look up reviews so you have staff who are helpful and friendly. They can make or break a hostel!
Below is my list of the best hostels in Auckland. If you don’t want to read the longer list below, the following are the best in each category:
Best Hostel for Budget Travelers: Fat Cat Travellers’ Community
Best Hostel for Solo Female Travelers: The Attic Backpackers
Best Hostel for Couples: Hekerua Lodge Backpackers
Best Hostel for Partying: Haka Lodge
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers: Fat Cat Travellers’ Community
Best Overall Hostel: Verandahs Parkside Lodge
Want the specifics of each hostel? Here’s my breakdown of the best hostels in Auckland and why I’m recommending them:
Price legend (per night)
- $ = Under 40 NZD
- $$ = 41-46 NZD
- $$$ = Over 47 NZD
1. Fat Cat Travellers’ Community
Set in an old farmhouse in the suburb of Sunnyvale, Fat Cat is an ideal place if you’re traveling alone. In addition to complimentary breakfast every morning, there are free (vegetarian) dinners every…