Posted: 1/13/2023 | January 13th, 2023
Located on the shores of Lake Wakatipu on the southern island of New Zealand, Queenstown is beautiful city set in an already beautiful country. With the Southern Alps looming as a backdrop and a shimmering lake in the foreground, Queenstown has a lot going for it.
Known as the “adventure capital of the world,” it’s here where daring travelers come to get their blood pumping. It’s one of the biggest tourist destinations in the country, especially for backpackers.
As such, Queenstown boasts a handful of fun, social, and affordable hostels!
Here are four things you need to remember before picking a hostel in Queenstown:
- Location – Queenstown isn’t huge, but it does make life easier when you’re in a location or neighborhood that fits your style and travel plans.
- Price – As is true anywhere, you get what you pay for. If you pick a really cheap hostel, you’re probably going to get one that is small and cramped and doesn’t offer great service.
- Amenities – Every hostel in town offers free Wi-Fi, and most have self-catering facilities so you can cook your own meals. Many — but not all — include free breakfast, so be sure to do your research to find the one that best meets your needs.
- Staff – All the hostels listed here have an amazing staff who are super friendly and knowledgeable. Even if you don’t end up staying at one of the places listed below, be sure to look up reviews so you have staff who are helpful and friendly. They can make or break a hostel!
Below is my list of the best hostels in Queenstown. If you don’t want to read the longer list below, the following are the best in each category:
Best Hostel for Budget Travelers: Southern Laughter Backpackers
Best Hostel for Solo Female Travelers: Adventure Queenstown Hostel
Best Hostel for Adventure Sports Lovers: Adventure Queenstown Hostel
Best Hostel for Couples: Southern Laughter Backpackers
Best Hostel for Staying in the Winter: Black Sheep Backpackers
Best Overall Hostel: Adventure Queenstown Hostel
Want the specifics of each hostel? Here’s my breakdown of the best hostels in Queenstown and why I love them:
Price legend (per night)
- $ = Under 44 NZD
- $$ = 45-55 NZD
- $$$ = Over 55 NZD
1. Adventure Queenstown Hostel
Adventure Queenstown, located just off Camp Street, puts on a different event every night of the week, including quiz and boardgame nights, scavenger hunts, pub crawls, potluck dinners, and more. The hostel is very…